Link building is the process of getting other websites to link back to your website.
The key is to get the right kinds of links: Links that have relevance to your site. Links from quality websites. The kinds of links that are earned. Earned means that you create a great piece of content, promote it, and someone links to it because they like it.
Link building using white hat strategies is the key when it comes to great SEO.
If you do something that search engines don’t like, you can get a penalty that will impact your SEO ranking. It can last from a few weeks to several months or until the problem is fixed. White hat strategies carry the least amount of risk and are very unlikely to be hit with a Google penalty.
A few examples of white hat tactics you can use to get backlinks are:
- Creating your own unique, useful, and quality content
- Building an engaged community that interacts with your blog
- Promoting your website to relevant people to get significant traffic
How to earn relevant external backlinks
First of all, earning high-quality backlinks means that you deserve them.
There are several link building strategies you can use to get external websites to link to yours:
- Content – Create useful, high-quality content that people want to reference and link to.
- Promotion – Put this content in front of people. Make it stand out, and keep it updated. If your content is hard to find, it lowers the chances that people will link to it from another website.
- Produce more – It’s hard to write content every day, but Google will reward you if you do. If you are lazy, you won’t be at the top.
- Mentions – Put your content in front of influencers in your industry, like popular bloggers or people with a large social media following.
- Links from friends and partners – Ask your partners, colleagues, and other people you know to link to your site. Keep in mind that links are valuable only when they come from a relevant website. Links from a supplier or customer website can be an SEO booster, AND great promotion.
It can take a while to build a lot of links, so be patient. It’s a long-term strategy. Once you have earned the links, they will affect your search engine visibility for years. And remember that shortcuts like buying links are against Google’s guidelines and you can be easily penalized. Don’t take chances.
Build links with internal link building
Another approach to build links is to place internal links in your website. Your own pages link to another page of yours.
Building external links to your site is important, but if you are focusing more of your efforts on the optimization of these internal links, you can build quality in-bound links with rich anchor text to the proper pages, which will provide you with an excellent ranking boost.
When you build internal links, pay attention to:
- Ensure that the quality and content of the linking page is high: Another factor considered is the quality of the page that is sending the link. Links from high-quality, trusted pages count more in boosting rankings than questionable pages and sites.
- Determine what anchor text to use: One of the most important things search engines take into account when ranking a page is the text a linking page uses to talk about your content. Use these to describe your other content and let search engines match by keywords. For example, a link with “Gary’s winery – the best wines in Orange County” that links to the winery’s page is much more valuable than a link with just the anchor text “Gary’s Winery LLC”.