So you built your email list, have some followers, and you’re starting to send out emails. You have the data and analytics to measure your success, and you discover that your open rates aren’t anywhere near like you expected or wanted! So what now?
The truth is, with all the distractions and messages that people deal with every day, it’s harder and harder to come up with emails that your list will actually open.
Don’t panic, you’re not alone. Creating engaging subject lines that get your emails opened is a common problem.
According to Mailchimp (reported on by SmartInsights) after analyzing hundreds of millions of emails, they’ve found that the average email open rate is anywhere between 15% and 25%, depending on the industry.
Your number may be lower depending on your how your subscribers got on your list, how well you segment them, or how relevant your emails are, but if you can stay in the 15%-25% range, you can be confident that you’re doing well.
Why are open rates important?
Well, first off, you need your email to be opened before you can collect any other data.
Your email needs to be opened before you can actually make a sale from your email list or engage your email list – whatever your goal is.
And besides your “from” line, the biggest factor to getting your emails opened is your email subject line.
A good email subject line is designed to get the attention of your ideal readers, convince them to open it, and read what you have to say.
The only question is how do you actually do that?
Email subject lines act just like headlines. And just like the headlines of good content, email subject lines are critical. But it’s not easy to come up with good email subject lines, especially if you send out a lot of emails to your list.
I researched the best subject lines, and collected 113 winning formulas
Why Do These Email Subject Lines Work?
To answer that question, Gary Bencivenga, arguably the world’s greatest copywriter, came up with this equation after analyzing some of the best headlines ever used in email campaigns:
Interest = Benefit + Curiosity
To give you a preview, here are 17 examples from the 113:
The desired results:
- Discover the [desired result] Secret
- To People That Want to [desired result] But Can’t Get Started
- You Too Can [desired result] in [time period] with [blank]
- How to Become [desired result] When You [something challenging]
- You Don’t Have to Be [something challenging] to be [desired result]
Solve a problem:
- Get Rid of [problem] Once and for All
- A Quick Way to [solve a problem]
- How to Take the Headache out of [problem]
- Do You Recognize the [number] Early Warning Signs of [blank]?
- The Biggest Lie in [your industry]
- If You Don’t [blank] Now, You’ll Hate Yourself Later
- X Shocking Mistakes Killing Your [blank]
- Do Not Try Another [blank] Until You [take desired action]
- [Do something] like [world-class example]
- The [desired result] That [world class example] Is Talking About
- Here is a Method That is Helping [world class example] to [blank]
- [blank] Hacking with [world class example]
Want to see 113 more winner subject line formulas? Like us on Facebook!
1. Welcome to [Brand/Name]!
2. [Name of Newsletter] [Issue #]
3. [New Post] [Blog Post Headline]
4. [Subject] vs [Subject]
5. [Number] experts [Topic]
6. What I Learned After [Accomplishment]
7. Quick Announcement: [Topic]
8. [Audience] [Topic]
9. [Number] Little Known Ways To [Action]
10. [Number] Hacks To [Desired Result]
11. [Topic] Advice To all [target market]
12. The Real Reason [Target Market] [Attracted To Product/Topic]
13. [Topic] Lessons From A [Weird Source]
14. Possibly The [Smartest/Dumbest] Way To [Action]
15. The Truth About [Topic/Person]
16. Formula: The Art Of [Topic]
17. The [Percentage] Rule Of [Topic]
18. The Best Of [Brand]
19. Normally We [Do Something]. You Get It [New Way]
20. Use This [Thing]
21. She gained [Result]…and blamed me!
22. The War Against [Enemy]
23. Little Known Ways to [blank]
24. How To Make People Line Up And Beg To [blank]
25. X Questions Answered About [blank]
26. Answered: Your Most Burning Questions About [blank]
27. Take X minutes to get started with [blank]… you’ll be happy you did!
28. Who Else Wants [desired result]?
29. How to fast-track your [desirable result]
30. At Last, The Secret To [desired result] Is Revealed
31. Why [blank] Fails and [blank] Succeeds
32. The Ugly Truth About [blank]
33. What Everybody Ought to Know About [blank]
34. The Sooner You Know [blank] The Better
35. Why I [blank] (And Maybe You Should Too)
36. Formula: [Action] Now
37. [Brand] is hiring!
38. Stop [Action]!
40. The [#] way to [Benefit]
41. How To [Achieve Desired Result]
42. Proof That [Product] Works
43. How We [Result] In [Timeframe]
44. Can’t believe how much you’ll love this
45. Discover The [desired result] Secret
46. [blank] Your Way To A [desired result] You
47. To People That Want To [desired result] But Can’t Get Started
48. You, a [desired result]
49. Stop [undesired result]
50. You Too Can [desired result] in [time period] with [blank]
51. How To Become [desired result] When You [something challenging]
52. There’s Big [desired result] In [blank]
53. You Don’t Have to Be [something challenging] to be [desired result]
54. How to turn [blank] into [desired result]
55. How To Build a [blank] You Can Be Proud Of
56. Get [desired result] Without [undesired result]
57. Improve/Increase Your [desired result] In [time period]
58. Imagine [desired result] And Loving Every Minute Of It
59. Here’s a Quick Way to [solve a problem]
60. Get [desired result] Without Losing [blank]
61. The Lazy [blank’s] Way to [desired result]
62. How To Get [desired result] Out Of [blank]
63. How To [desired result] When You’re Not [blank]
64. No [undesired result] Just [desired result] Everyday
65. The Quickest & Easiest Way To [desired result]
66. If You Can [blank] You Can [desired result]
67. How You Can [desired result] Almost Instantly
68. How To Become [desired result] When You [something challenging]
69. How To Use [blank] To [desired result]
70. How To Turn Your [blank] Into [desired result]
71. See How Easily You Can [desirable result]
72. Now You Can Have [something desirable] Without [something challenging]
73. Give Me [short time period] and I’ll Give You [desired result]
74. Last call: [Name Of Product] closes in [#] hours
75. Don’t buy [Product Name] until you read this
76. What if [Negative Result]
77. [Number] [Topic] Mistakes You’re Making
78. Avoid These [Number] [Topic] [Pitfalls/Mistakes]
79. The Death Of [Topic]
80. [Subject] Shocked By [Unusual Thing/Person]
81. Man/Woman/Kid [Weird Action/Thing]
82. My Big [Topic] Mistake
83. The Most Common [Topic] Mistakes [Target Market] Make
84. Get Rid of [problem] Once and For All
85. Never Suffer From [undesired result] Again
86. How To Take The Headache Out Of [blank]
87. Do You Recognize the [number] Early Warning Signs of [blank]?
88. If You Don’t [blank] Now, You’ll Hate Yourself Later
89. I’ve Lied to You for [time period] Now
90. The Biggest Lie In [your industry]
91. X Shocking Mistakes Killing Your [blank]
92. Don’t Try [blank] Without [desired action] First
93. [blank] May Be Dangerous To [something precious]
94. [blank] May Be Causing You To Lose Out On [desired result]
95. Do Not Try Another [blank] Until You [take desired action]
96. What Your [blank] Won’t Tell You And How It Can Save You [blank]
97. Your [blank] Doesn’t Want You To Read This [blank]
98. [Insert Celebrity] School Of [Topic]
99. [Number] People Can’t Be Wrong
100. How [impressive number] Got [desired result] Without [undesired result]
101. Here is a Method That is Helping [world class example] to [blank]
102. [blank] Hacking With [world class example]
103. Savvy|Smart|Sexy People Do XYZ
104. [Do something] like [world-class example]
105. The [desired result] That [world class example] Is Talking About
106. Join [impressive number] of Your Peers that [take desired action]
107. [desired result] Like A [desired group or person]
108. How [impressive number] Got [desired result] in [time period]
109. Like [world class example] You Can [desired result]
110. [world class example] Reveals Ways To [desired result]
111. Why [impressive number] of People are [taking desired action]
112. A Simple Way To [desired result] That Works For [desired group/person]
113. How to [desired result] Like [world class example]
When people read your subject line, they have to feel that they are going to get something really valuable. The subject line should arouse their curiosity and make them wonder what the rest of the email will offer them—so much so that they feel they HAVE to know the answer!
Now, my last question to you is: which of the subject lines do you like best?
Share this article if you liked, and leave a comment bellow!